A Mosquito bite causes a small bump. It may be uncomfortable and itchy. It requires a little experimentation to know what works for your mosquito bite and you. Most remedies, such as applying ice, aloe Vera or honey, is believed to soothe the area many times, but sometimes it fails to work. Here are 5 tips to stop mosquito bites from itching.
- Clean by rubbing alcohol
The moment the mosquito bites, rubbing alcohol on the bite place offers a cooling effect and relieves itching. There is the possibility of skin irritation if you use too much alcohol for rubbing.
- Mild corticosteroid cream
Applying corticosteroid creams help with skin irritations, and inflammations are well-known. However, it is best to avoid applying this cream to your face or open wounds. It may also cause side effects on using it for the long-term and cause side effects such as skin worsening, acne, or excessive hair growth.
- Use lidocaine or benzocaine ointments
Lidocaine and Benzocaine are over-the-counter creaming working as numbing agents. They give temporary relief from pain and itchiness. Yet, look for creams having peppermint or menthol for a cool effect.
- Over-the-counter antihistamines
Antihistamines help in lowering the count of histamine and thus reduce inflammation. These over-the-counter medications avoid swelling and itchiness. Take them orally as Claritin or Benadryl or apply over the area topically as calamine lotion.
- Lemon balm
It is a leafy plant related closely to mint. It is all-natural soothing for everything, from upset stomach to anxiety. Apply directly chopped leaves on mosquito bites or apply essential lemon balm oil and apply.
Does a mosquito bite last long?
A mosquito bite lasts for a few hours to a few days. The mosquito bite length and its symptoms differ as per the bite-size and the immune system of that person. Mosquito bites cause dark marks after bite or itching.
How to prevent mosquito bites?
Reduce mosquito bites risk by:
- Wear long pants and sleeves or treat with permethrin spray for clothing.
- Spray insect repellent that is EPA approved such as lemon eucalyptus oil picaridin, DEET, para-menthane-diol, IR3535, and avoid PMD or OLE products for children.
- Hang mosquito nets on the strollers, hangout area, mosquito netting on baby carriers, and patch up holes on windows and doors as screens.
- Turn water-collectors regularly in your buckets, birdbaths, flowerpots, and trash cans that are the mosquito eggs hot spots.
Which treatments to skip?
Home remedies such as oatmeal, honey, garlic, basil, toothpaste, vinegar, lime juice, baking soda, and aloe Vera are popular but are not dermatologists board-certified. Despite the old tales of its beneficial properties, they are not remedies recommended for mosquito bite itchiness.